Georgia
 USGenWeb Project
GAGenWeb  Project
Home
History
Family Lines
Records
Military
Resources
Photos
Links


Email:
Coordinator
 

Neighboring
Counties

Bibb
Macon
Dooly
Twiggs
Crawford
Peach
Bleckley
Pulaski

 



 

 

 

 

 

 

Records

Schools
 




Perry High School 1939


Houston County has long been known in the State for its superior school system.  The first school, Houston County Academy of Perry,  was chartered in 1824 by the Georgia Legislature.  One acre of land for the school was allotted by the Houston Inferior Court at the appeal of the school's first Board of Trustees comprise of citizens: Howell Cobb, James Holt, C. J. Patillo and Wilson Collins.  The site was known as "The Commons" and later "Armory Grove". In the 1950s, long after the old academy building was demolished, the site became the location of the National Guard Armory building which was named in honor of Perry's General Courtney Hicks Hodges.

By 1826 there were two academies in Houston County, the Houston County Academy in Perry and the Flint River Academy on Hog Crawl Creek in what today is Macon County.  By 1860 there were 9 other schools in the county.  Some of which were known as "Old Field Schools" due to the fact the facilities were located on old fields donated by local planters.

By 1853 there was established in Perry on a lot donated by Samuel D. Killen, the Perry Baptist Female Seminary.  The name was changed in 1854 to Houston County Female College. The first catalog lists 113 students from Houston and several surrounding counties as well as two students from out of state.

In 1919 the state mandated parents enroll children in school.  It was in that year that James Madison Gooden came to Perry as Superintendent of the growing Houston County School system.  It was under his leadership that the various small schools throughout the country were consolidated to create efficiency in funding and administration.  In 1924, by legislative action the Perry Consolidated School System was formed embracing a 5 mile radius.  The same year an $85,000 bond issue was authorized to fund the building of a new brick school house on Main Street in Perry.  Today this building is still in use by the Houston County Board of Education as its administrative headquarters.

Early school records will be added to this site in the future.


 

 


Family Pages on this site sometime include copies or transcriptions of family records.


 

 

 

 

A Briar Patch Design
Terrelle M. Walker

Copyright 2008-2010